TUM-IAS – A Family-Friendly Institute
The TUM-IAS is proud of the diverse nature of its community. Our Fellowships have been explicitly designed not only to attract scientists from all over the world to TUM, but also to attract scientists on various stages of their careers – early-career scientists as well as experienced senior scientists. Naturally, this implies that many of our Fellows are not only very active scientists, but also have demanding family obligations.
Therefore, the TUM-IAS offers the following services to scientists with a family:
- The TUM-IAS encourages its Fellows to bring their family along when coming to Munich, especially when considering a longer period of stay. Therefore, not only the travel expenses and accommodation for the whole family can be paid out of the Fellowship expense account, but also the costs for childcare or school fees in Munich. Flexible additional funding is available to facilitate the extra needs of Fellows with children (taking budgetary considerations into account).
- The TUM-IAS staff is glad to be of assistance with any matter regarding the organization of the family stays in Munich. This includes organizing a suitable accommodation, helping with finding bilingual/international day cares, kindergartens, or schools, or pointing out the family and childcare services of other TUM institutions that are open to the TUM-IAS Fellows.
- While the TUM-IAS encourages its Fellows to spend at least one or ideally several longer periods at TUM, it acknowledges that sometimes this can be incompatible with the Fellow’s family obligations. It is therefore possible to split the overall 9 months at TUM in as many short time periods as needed.
- The TUM-IAS hopes that not only our scientists, but also their families feel welcomed. The staff would be very happy to meet your partners and/or children at some point. Also, at the TUM-IAS there are not only nappy-changing facilities but also toys, books and games for the children of those scientists who would like to bring them along to the Institute from time to time.
- In the Mathematics/Informatics building, a five-minutes’ walk away from the TUM-IAS building, there are two “Kinderzimmer” (children’s rooms), one of which is open for children with their parents/person in charge, and one of which also offers caring staff which can be booked at short notice (more information: Kinderzimmer). In the Mechanical Engineerings building there is a “family room”, open for families as well as for pregnant women who need rest. In the Chemistry building there is a children´s room open for children with their parents/person in charge as well as a nursing room.