Anna Boyksen Fellow
KTH Royal Institute of Technology
School of Architecture
Meike Schalk is associate professor in urban design and urban theory at KTH School of Architecture, Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm. Schalk studied architecture at the University of the Arts in Berlin and the Architectural Association in London. She earned her doctoral degree in theoretical and applied aesthetics of landscape architecture in 2007 at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences. Schalk worked as senior lecturer and researcher at KTH School of Architecture, where she took up an assistant professorship in 2011, and became tenured associate professor and received her habilitation in 2016. Since 2017 she is head of doctoral education including two doctoral programs, Architecture, and the interdisciplinary and interinstitutional PhD program Art, Technology and Design, a collaboration with the University of Arts, Crafts and Design in Stockholm. 2015-2018, Schalk was director of the Swedish ‘Strong Research Environment’ Architecture in Effect. Schalk is appointed member of the committee for artistic research of the Swedish Research Council.
- 2020-2024, Designed living environment – architecture, form, design, art and cultural heritage in public spaces grant (Formas),
- 2020, Arkus grant for curating the Swedish entries of the Bloomsbury Global Encyclopedia of Women in Architecture (forthcoming 2021)
- 2019, Scientist in residency at Oskar von Miller Forum, Munich, October-December
- 2019-2020, Sto-foundation guest professorship at the Department of Architecture, TUM, autumn term
- 2016, Swedish Research Council grant for convening the conference “Making Effect: Re-thinking research in architecture”
- 2010, Lungomare residency, Bolzano,
- 2009-2010, Swedish Research Council project grant,
- 2009-2010 Iaspis residency, project and studio grant, Stockholm,
- 2001, Architects Sweden Architectural Critics Prize, (together with the editorial board of magasin för modern arkitektur)
Critical inquiry into discourses of sustainability, democracy and participation in architecture and urban planning; practice-oriented research methods; research in architecture and urban design in conjunction with feminist theory and practice, intersectional analysis, questions of equity, diversity and inclusion in architectural and planning practice and education. Historical and contemporary shifts of welfare spaces and policies in housing in the Nordic Countries, and Vienna.
- Meike Schalk, Sara Brolund de Carvalho, Helena Mattsson, ’The Changing Ways of Being in Common: From Collective to Common Spaces in Welfare Housing,’ in Angelika Fitz, Elke Krasny, eds, Critical Care: Architecture and Urbanism for a Broken Planet (Vienna, Cambridge MA: Architekturzentrum Wien, The MIT Press, 2019), 131-137.
- Helena Mattsson, Meike Schalk, ’Action Archive: Oral History as Performance’, in Naomi Stead, Janina Gosseye, Deborah van der Plaat, Speaking of Buildings: Oral History in Architectural Research (Princeton: Princeton Architectural Press, 2019), 94-114.
- Meike Schalk, Karin Reisinger, ‘Introductory Essay: Styles of Queer Feminist Practices and Objects in Architecture’, Architecture and Culture, Vol 5, Issue 3, 11/2017, 343-352, edited by Reisinger and Schalk.
- Karin Reisinger, Meike Schalk, ‘Becoming a Feminist Architect, … visible, momentous, with, field journal, Vol 7 (1), (open access), 2017, 1-12, edited by Schalk and Reisinger.
- Meike Schalk, Thérèse Kristiansson, Ramia Mazé, eds, Feminist Futures of Spatial Practice: Materialisms, Activisms, Dialogues, Pedagogies, Projections (Baunach: Spurbuchverlag / AADR, 2017).
- Meike Schalk, ‘Old News from a Contact Zone: Action Archive in Tensta’, in Doina Petrescu and Kim Trogal (eds), The Social (Re)Production of Architecture: Politics, Values and Actions in Contemporary Practice (London: Routledge, 2017), 329-345.
- Meike Schalk, ‘The Architecture of Metabolism. Inventing a Culture of Resilience’, special issue “Sustainable Architecture”, Arts, 3(2), (Basel: MDPI, open access), 2014, 279-297.
- Meike Schalk, Ulrika Gunnarsson-Östling, Karin Bradley, ‘Feminist Futures and “Other Worlds”: Ecologies of Critical Spatial Practice’, in Sherilyn MacGregor, ed., Routledge Handbook of Gender and Environment, (London: Routledge, 2017), 447-463.
- Meike Schalk, ‘Projecting Critical Architecture’, in David Hamers, Naomi Bueno de Mesquita, Annelis Vaneycken, Jessica Schoffelen, eds, Trading Places: Practices of Public Participation in Art and Design Research (Barcelona: dpr, 2017), 129-132.
- Meike Schalk, ‘Utopian Desires and Institutional Change’, in Karin Bradley, Johan Hedrén, eds, Green Utopianism. Perspectives, Politics and Micro-Practices. London: Routledge, 2014, 131-149.