Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology
X-Ray and Computed Tomography Research
Prof. Dr. Daniela Pfeiffer, MHBA, studied medicine at the Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, University of Regensburg and the University St. Gallen and finished her MD thesis (summa cum laude) in 2008. She received the board certification of Radiology at the Klinikum rechts der Isar at TUM in 2014, followed by a clinical fellowship in musculoskeletal radiology. In 2016, she earned a master’s degree in Business Health Administration and following this, she went to the Massachusetts General Hospital (Harvard Medical School) in Boston for a research fellowship. Since 2017, she has been working as an attending at the Department of Radiology at TUM School of Medicine, Klinikum rechts der Isar. In addition, she serves as a member of the Ethics Committee at TUM and as a member of the scientific committee of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA).
- 2017: Röntgen-Award, University of Gießen
- 2012: Invest in the Youth: Rising Star ECR, Vienna
- 2002: Scholarship of the Studienstiftung Dr. Heel
Daniela Pfeiffer is an expert in the field of lung imaging and musculoskeletal diagnostics. Her main medical research interest is improving detection, precise diagnosis and therapy follow-up of lung diseases such as COPD, lung cancer and infectious diseases (including COVID-19).
From a technical perspective, she is mainly interested in novel methods for medical X-Ray and Computed Tomography (CT) Imaging. Her main focus lies in the field of photon counting CT technology, spectral CT applications, dark-field and phase contrast imaging, and machine learning in clinical applications.
- Gassert, F. T., Urban, T., Frank, M., Willer, K., Noichl, W., Buchberger, P., Schick, R., Koehler, T., von Berg, J., Fingerle, A. A., Sauter, A. P., Makowski, M. R., Pfeiffer, D.*, & Pfeiffer, F.* (2021). X-ray Dark-Field Chest Imaging: Qualitative and Quantitative Results in Healthy Humans. Radiology, 210963. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2021210963 *shared last authorship
- Scholz, J., Roiser, N., Braig, E. M., Petrich, C., Birnbacher, L., Andrejewski, J., Kimm, M. A., Sauter, A., Busse, M., Korbel, R., Herzen, J., & Pfeiffer, D. (2021). X-ray dark-field radiography for in situ gout diagnosis by means of an ex vivo animal study. Scientific reports, 11(1), 19021. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-98151-0
- Schultheiss, M., Schmette, P., Bodden, J., Aichele, J., Müller-Leisse, C., Gassert, F. G., Gassert, F. T., Gawlitza, J. F., Hofmann, F. C., Sasse, D., von Schacky, C. E., Ziegelmayer, S., De Marco, F., Renger, B., Makowski, M. R., Pfeiffer, F., & Pfeiffer, D. (2021). Lung nodule detection in chest X-rays using synthetic ground-truth data comparing CNN-based diagnosis to human performance. Scientific reports, 11(1), 15857. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-94750-z
- Schultheiss, M., Schober, S. A., Lodde, M., Bodden, J., Aichele, J., Müller-Leisse, C., Renger, B., Pfeiffer, F., & Pfeiffer, D. (2020). A robust convolutional neural network for lung nodule detection in the presence of foreign bodies. Scientific Reports, 10(1), 12987.
- Braig, E.M., Roiser, N., Kimm, M.A., Busse, M., Andrejewski, J., Scholz, J., Petrich, C., Gustschin, A., Sauter, A., Bodden, J., Meurer, F., Korbel, R., Pfeiffer, F., Herzen, J. & Pfeiffer, D. (2020) X-ray Dark-Field Radiography: Potential for Visualization of Monosodium Urate Deposition. Invest Radiol, 55, 494-498.
- Deniffel, D., Sauter, A., Fingerle, A., Rummeny, E.J., Makowski, M.R., Pfeiffer, D. (2020) Improved differentiation between primary lung cancer and pulmonary metastasis by combining dual-energy CT-derived biomarkers with conventional CT attenuation, Eur Radiol, doi: 10.1007/s00330-020-07195-9.
- Beck. S., Sellerer, T., Mechlem, K., Bodden, J., Meurer, F., Sauter, A., Herzen, J., Pfeiffer, F., Pfeiffer, D. (2020) Photon-counting spectral basis component material decomposition for musculoskeletal radiographs. Scientific Reports, 17, 13889.
- Pasa, F., Golkov, V., Pfeiffer, F., Cremers, D. & Pfeiffer, D. (2019) Efficient Deep Network Architectures for Fast Chest X-Ray Tuberculosis Screening and Visualization. Scientific Reports, 9, 6268.
- Deniffel, D., Sauter, A., Dangelmaier, J., Fingerle, A., Rummeny, E.J. & Pfeiffer, D. (2019) Differentiating intrapulmonary metastases from different primary tumors via quantitative dual-energy CT based iodine concentration and conventional CT attenuation. European journal of radiology, 111, 6-13.
- Muenzel, D.*, Bar-Ness, D., Roessl, E., Blevis, I., Bartels, M., Fingerle, A.A., Ruschke, S., Coulon, P., Daerr, H., Kopp, F.K., Brendel, B., Thran, A., Rokni, M., Herzen, J., Boussel, L., Pfeiffer, F., Proksa, R., Rummeny, E.J., Douek, P. & Noel, P.B. (2017) Spectral Photon-counting CT: Initial Experience with Dual-Contrast Agent K-Edge Colonography. Radiology, 283, 723-728. *Muenzel D. = Pfeiffer D.