Carl von Linde Senior Fellowship
Active TUM faculty members with a distinguished track record in research who intend to develop innovative, high-risk topics in their scientific research areas, if possible within a trans-disciplinary team, are eligible to become Carl von Linde Senior Fellows. Carl von Linde Senior Fellows should be well-established within the TUM network with at least three years of experience as a TUM professor.
This Fellowship is named after TUM professor Carl von Linde (1842-1934), who invented the air liquefaction and founded the “Linde’s Eismaschinen” company in 1879.
Carl von Linde Senior Fellows are expected to provide substantial scientific leadership towards the creation of new research areas at TUM, and to contribute substantially to the intellectual life of the Institute and the university.
The Institute awards up to two Carl von Linde Senior Fellowships each year.
The TUM-IAS offers Fellowships lasting three years, along with the opportunity to fully devote time to the development of the new research area, completely unrestricted by teaching obligations, non-relevant administrative functions or – in the case of the Medical School – clinical obligations. The applicant may plan the duration of the Fellowship according to his/her requirements.
Support for Carl von Linde Senior Fellows consists of a qualified substitute professorship for up to three years. Additionally, max. €50,000 of financial support for travel, consumable supplies, and other research related costs such as the organization of workshops etc. can be allocated to the Fellowship if required. This further funding requires an application to the TUM-IAS office and will be granted on the basis of quality, need and availability of funds. Fellows will be given a maximum degree of freedom as to how they utilize these funds (administered by TUM-IAS) and their time.
How to apply
- The Deans of TUM Faculties, all further members of the “Erweitertes Hochschulpräsidium (EHP)”, and members of the TUM-IAS Board of Trustees can directly nominate candidates for TUM-IAS Fellowships (any member of the university community can propose; the nomination, however, is then channeled through the Dean of the hosting Faculty or the Director of the hosting Institute).
- Please submit the following application documents:
- letter of nomination from the Dean of the hosting department or another member of the TUM Extended Board of Management (EHP) or TUM-IAS Board of Trustees,
- a CV (no more than 5 pages) including a list of major publications (please highlight the 3-5 most important publications of the past 5 years),
- a statement of purpose describing how the Fellowship would contribute to the innovation of the scientific or technological environment at TUM, the specific goals to be achieved and a budget plan.
Calls will be published once a year on the TUM-IAS website. Please send nominations directly to the TUM-IAS office. Decisions will be mailed within six months.