Ib Chorkendorff is Professor in Heterogeneous Catalysis at DTU-Physics. He earned his PhD in 1985 Odense University Denmark, and after a postdoc at University of Pittsburgh, USA, he was employed in 1987 at DTU where he became full Professor in 1999. From 2005-2016 director of Danish National Research Foundation Center for Individual Nanoparticle Functionality (CINF) and from 2016 he has been director of The Villum Center for the Science of Sustainable Fuels and Chemicals (V-SUSTAIN). He has author or coauthored more than > 370 scientific papers, > 20 patents and one textbook “Concepts of Modern Catalysis and Kinetics”. He has since 2017 been listed as Highly Cited Researcher (ISI) (top 1%) C-7282-2008 https://publons.com/researcher/2878488/ib-chorkendorff/. Ib Chorkendorff’s research activities focus on finding new catalysts for improving energy production/conversion and for environmental protection.
He is co-founder of three start-up companies RENCAT APS, HPNOW APS and Spectroinlets APS.
- 2021, Awarded the Villum Kann Rassmussen Annual Award of 0.7 M€.
- 2020, Awarded a Hans Fischer Senior Fellowship at Technical University of Munich, Germany.
- 2019, Awarded the Julius Thomsen Gold Medal, Technical University of Denmark.
- 2018-2020, Awarded the Chinese Overseas High-level Talents Program, Chinese Academy
- 2018-, Elected Member of the Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters
- 2015-, Elected Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC)
- 2012-2015, Chalmers Jubilee Distinguished Visiting Professor, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2007, Awarded the Ingeborg and Leo Dannin’s Prize for Natural Science Research
- 2000, Awarded the Ulrik and Marie Brinch award
Catalysis, Surface Science, Energy Harvesting and Conversion, Power to X, Reaction Kinetic.
- S. Z. Andersen, V. Čolić, S. Yang, J. A. Schwalbe, A. C. Nielander, J. M. McEnaney, J. G. Baker, A. R. Singh, B. A. Rohr, M. J. Statt, S. J. Blair, S. Mezzavilla, K. Enemark-Rasmussen, J. Kibsgaard, P. C. K. Vesborg, M. Cargnello, S. F. Bent, T. F. Jaramillo, I. E. L. Stephens, J. K. Nørskov and I. Chorkendorff: “Benchmarking the Electrochemical Nitrogen Reduction Reaction” NATURE, 570 (2019) 504-508. DOI: 10.1038/s41586-019-1260-x.
- S. T. Wismann, J. S. Engbæk, S. Vendelbo, F. B. Bendixen, W. L. Eriksen, K. Aasberg-Peteresen, C. Frandsen, I. Chorkendorff and P.M. Mortensen: ”Miniaturized mega-scale: A disruptive approach for greener hydrogen production at industrial scale”, SCIENCE 364 (2019) 756. DOI:10.1126/scienceaaw8775.
- C. Roy, B. Sebök, S. B. Scott, E. M. Fiordaliso, A. Bodin, S. B. Scott, J. E. Sørensen, A. Bodin, D. B Trimarco, C. D. Damsgaard, P.C.K. Vesborg, O. Hansen, I. E. L. Stephens, J. Kibsgaard, and I. Chorkendorff: “Impact of Size and Lattice Oxygen on Water Oxidation on NiFeOxHy”, Nature Catalysis 1 (2018) 820-829. DOI: 10.1038/s41929-018-0162-x.
S. Yang, A. Verdaguer-Casadevall, L. Amarson, L. Silvioli, V. Čolić, R. Frydendal, J. Rossmeisl, I. Chorkendorff and I. E. L. Stephens: “The Catalysis of Electrochemical H2O2 Production” ACS Catalysis 8 (2018) 4064-4081. DOI: 10.1021/acscatal.8b00217.
Z. W Seh, J. Kibsgaard, C. F. Dickens, I. Chorkendorff, J. K. Nørskov and T. F. Jaramillo: “Combining Theory and Experiment in Electrocatalysis: A Framework for Providing Insights into Materials Design” SCIENCE 355 (2017) 146. DOI: 10.1126/science.aad4998.
- M. Escudero-Escribano, P. Malacrida, M- Hansen, U. G. Vej-Hansen, A. Velázquez-Palenzuela V. Tripkovic, J. Schøitz, J. Rossmeisl, I. E.L. Stephens and I. Chorkendorff: “Tuning the activity of Pt alloy electrocatalysts by means of the lanthanide contraction”. SCIENCE 352 (2016) 73-76. DOI: 10.1126/science.aad8892.
- B. Seger, I. E. Castelli, P. C.K. Vesborg, K. W. Jacobsen, O. Hansen and I. Chorkendorff: “2-Photon tandem device for water splitting: comparing photocathode first versus photoanode first designs”, Energy & Environ. Sci., 7 (2014) 2397 – 2413. DOI: 10.1039/c4ee01335b.
- S. Kuld, C. Conradsen, P.G. Moses, I. Chorkendorff and J. Sehested: ”Quantification of Zinc Atoms in a Surface Alloy on Copper in an Industrial-Type Methanol Synthesis Catalyst” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 53 (2014) 5941-5945. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201311073.
- P. Hernandez-Fernandez, F. Masini, D. N. McCarthy, C. E. Strebel, D. Friebel, D. Deiana, P. Malacrida, A. Nierhoff, A. Bodin, A. M. Wise, J. H. Nielsen, T. W. Hansen, A. Nilsson, I. E. L. Stephens and I. Chorkendorff: ”Mass-selected nanoparticles of PtxY as model catalysts for oxygen electroreduction” Nature Chemistry 6 (2014) 732-738. DOI: 10.1038/NCHEM.2001.
- F. Studt, F. Abild-Pedersen, I. Sharafutdinov, C. F. Elkær, J. S. Hummelshøj, S. Dahl, I. Chorkendorff and J. K. Nørskov: “Discovery of a Ni-Ga catalyst for CO2 reduction to methanol” Nature Chemistry 6 (2014) 320-324. DOI: 10.1038/NCHEM.1873.
- A. B. Laursen, S. Kegnæs, S. Dahl and I. Chorkendorff: “Molybdenum sulphides - effecient and viable materials for electro- and photoelectrocatalytic hydrogen evolution” Energy & Environ. Sci., 5 (2012) 5577-5591. DOI: 10.1039/c2ee02618j.
- Y. Hou, B. L. Abrams, P-C.K. Vesborg, M. E. Björketun, K.Herbst, L. Bech, A. M. Setti, C. D. Damsgaard, T.Pedersen, O. Hansen, J. Rossmeisl, S.Dahl, J. K. Nørskov and I. Chorkendorff: “Bioinspired molecular Co-catalysts Bonded to a Silicon Photocathode for Solar Hydrogen Evolution“, Nature Materials 10 (2011) 434-438. DOI: 10.1038/NMAT3008.
Full CV and Publication list (link to Technical University of Denmark)