Horst Kessler was born in Suhl, Thuringia. He studied chemistry in Leipzig and Tübingen. He received his diploma in chemistry in 1963 and he was awarded his Ph.D. in 1966. He earned both degrees at University of Tübingen (dissertation: “Kupfersalz-katalysierte Reaktionen von Diazomethan mit Aromaten”).
Three years later he qualified as a professor (Habilitation) in Organic Chemistry (topic: „Nachweis innermolekularer Beweglichkeit durch NMR-Spektroskopie“). From 1971 to 1988 Kessler worked as Full Professor at J.W. Goethe University in Frankfurt/Main at the Department of Organic Chemistry.
The next twenty years he spent at the Technische Unversität München as Full Professor at the Department of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry.
Since October 2008 he is a Carl von Linde Professor (Emeritus Professor of Excellence) at the Institute for Advanced Study at TUM. Kessler has also held visiting appointments at several universities in Halifax, Tokyo, Madison, Haifa, Austin and Jerusalem. Moreover he holds several honorary posts and is member of the Editorial Board of renowned chemical journals.
2009 Honory Member of the Israel Chemical Society
2008 Josef Rudinger Award, European Peptide Society
2005 Burkhardt Helferich Award
2002 Vincent Du Vigneaud Award, American Peptide Society
2002 Hans-Herloff Inhoffen Medal
2002 Honorary doctoral degree, University of Leipzig
2002 Member German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
2001 Max-Planck-Research Award
1997 Emil Fischer Medal
1996 Member Bavarian Academy of Science
1988 Max-Bergmann-Medal for Peptide Chemistry
The following topics represent the core of Kessler’s research: rational design of molecules on the basis of conformation, the synthesis and structure of peptides and peptidmimetica and the development and application of NMR-techniques and calculation methods for the identification of molecule structures.
- Selective Imaging of the Angiogenic Relevant Integrins α5β1 and αvβ3. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 52 (44), 2013, 11656-11659 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Hydrogel Micropillars with Integrin Selective Peptidomimetic Functionalized Nanopatterned Tops: A New Tool for the Measurement of Cell Traction Forces Transmitted through α v β 3 - or α 5 β 1 -Integrins. Adv. Mater. 25 (41), 2013, 5869-5874 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Functionalizing αvβ3- or α5β1-Selective Integrin Antagonists for Surface Coating: A Method To Discriminate Integrin Subtypes In Vitro. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 52 (5), 2012, 1572-1575 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- A Conformationally Frozen Peptoid Boosts CXCR4 Affinity and Anti-HIV Activity. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 51 (32), 2012, 8110-8113 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Design, Synthesis, and Functionalization of Dimeric Peptides Targeting Chemokine Receptor CXCR4. J. Med. Chem. 54 (21), 2011, 7648-7662 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Structural analysis of the interaction between Hsp90 and the tumor suppressor protein p53. Nat Struct Mol Biol 18 (10), 2011, 1086-1093 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- pH-Dependent Dimerization and Salt-Dependent Stabilization of the N-terminal Domain of Spider Dragline Silk-Implications for Fiber Formation. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 50 (1), 2010, 310-313 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Hsp12 Is an Intrinsically Unstructured Stress Protein that Folds upon Membrane Association and Modulates Membrane Function. Molecular Cell 39 (4), 2010, 507-520 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Multiple N -Methylation of MT-II Backbone Amide Bonds Leads to Melanocortin Receptor Subtype hMC1R Selectivity: Pharmacological and Conformational Studies. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 132 (23), 2010, 8115-8128 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Improving Oral Bioavailability of Peptides by Multiple N-Methylation: Somatostatin Analogues. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 47 (14), 2008, 2595-2599 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Probing Integrin Selectivity: Rational Design of Highly Active and Selective Ligands for the α5β1 and αvβ3 Integrin Receptor. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 46 (19), 2007, 3571-3574 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Targeting RGD Recognizing Integrins: Drug Development, Biomaterial Research, Tumor Imaging and Targeting. CPD 12 (22), 2006, 2723-2747 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Noninvasive Visualization of the Activated αvβ3 Integrin in Cancer Patients by Positron Emission Tomography and [18F]Galacto-RGD. PLoS Med 2 (3), 2005, e70 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- RGD modified polymers: biomaterials for stimulated cell adhesion and beyond. Biomaterials 24 (24), 2003, 4385-4415 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- N -Methylated Cyclic RGD Peptides as Highly Active and Selective α V β 3 Integrin Antagonists. J. Med. Chem. 42 (16), 1999, 3033-3040 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Transformation of homonuclear two-dimensional NMR techniques into one-dimensional techniques using Gaussian pulses. Journal of Magnetic Resonance (1969) 70 (1), 1986, 106-133 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Assignment of carbonyl carbons and sequence analysis in peptides by heteronuclear shift correlation via small coupling constants with broadband decoupling in t1 (COLOC). Journal of Magnetic Resonance (1969) 57 (2), 1984, 331-336 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Conformation and Biological Activity of Cyclic Peptides. Angewandte Chemie International Edition in English 21 (7), 1982, 512-523 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Detection of Hindered Rotation and Inversion by NMR Spectroscopy. Angewandte Chemie International Edition in English 9 (3), 1970, 219-235 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )