Angela Casini is Chair of Medicinal and Bioinorganic Chemistry at Cardiff University. She completed her PhD in Chemical Sciences at the University of Florence (Italy) in 2004, and, afterwards, moved to EPFL (Switzerland) as senior scientist funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation. Between 2011-2015 she has been assistant professor at the University of Groningen (The Netherlands), holding a Rosalind Franklin Fellowship, before taking up her current professor position at Cardiff University in October 2015. Since then she also maintains the role of guest professor at the University of Groningen. Her research focuses on the study of the role of metal ions in biological systems and of the mechanisms of action of metal-based therapeutics (e.g. anticancer agents). Furthermore, novel applications for metal-based chemical entities, including supramolecular self-assembled metallocages, are explored in various domains of chemical biology, bio-analytical chemistry, drug delivery and physiology.
2016 Member of the Young European Academy
2016 Visiting professorship at Colorado State University (Fort Collins, US)
2016 August-Wilhelm Scheer Visiting Professorship (Technical University of Munich)
2014 Listed by Thomson Reuters as one of the “Worlds most influential scientific minds” in the field of Pharmacology
2014 Early career investigator at the Gordon Research Conference Metals In Medicine “New Frontiers”
2014 Visiting professorship at the University of Sassari (Sassari, Italy)
2013 Visiting professorship at the University of Burgundy (Dijon, France)
2012 European Medal for Biological Inorganic Chemistry (EUROBIC11 award -11th European Biological Inorganic Chemistry Conference), Granada, Spain
Metal complexes, organometallics, supramolecular chemistry, cancer, proteins, nucleic acids, drug design, biophysical methods, in vitro, in silico, ex vivo precision cut tissue slices.
- Bazzicalupi, Carla; Ferraroni, Marta; Papi, Francesco; Massai, Lara; Bertrand, Benoît; Messori, Luigi; Gratteri, Paola; Casini, Angela: Determinants for Tight and Selective Binding of a Medicinal Dicarbene Gold(I) Complex to a Telomeric DNA G-Quadruplex: a Joint ESI MS and XRD Investigation. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 55 (13), 2016, 4256-4259.
- Meier, Samuel M.; Gerner, Christopher; Keppler, Bernhard K.; Cinellu, Maria Agostina; Casini, Angela: Mass Spectrometry Uncovers Molecular Reactivities of Coordination and Organometallic Gold(III) Drug Candidates in Competitive Experiments That Correlate with Their Biological Effects. Inorganic Chemistry 55 (9), 2016, 4248-4259.
- Schmidt, Andrea; Hollering, Manuela; Drees, Markus; Casini, Angela; Kühn, Fritz E.: Supramolecular exo-functionalized palladium cages: fluorescent properties and biological activity. Dalton Trans. 45 (20), 2016, 8556-8565.
- Schmidt, Andrea; Molano, Viviana; Hollering, Manuela; Pöthig, Alexander; Casini, Angela; Kühn, Fritz E.: Evaluation of New Palladium Cages as Potential Delivery Systems for the Anticancer Drug Cisplatin. Chemistry - A European Journal 22 (7), 2016, 2253-2256.
- Wenzel, Margot; de Almeida, Andreia; Bigaeva, Emilia; Kavanagh, Paul; Picquet, Michel; Le Gendre, Pierre; Bodio, Ewen; Casini, Angela: New Luminescent Polynuclear Metal Complexes with Anticancer Properties: Toward Structure–Activity Relationships. Inorganic Chemistry 55 (5), 2016, 2544-2557.
- de Almeida, A.; Martins, A. P.; Mósca, A. F.; Wijma, H. J.; Prista, C.; Soveral, G.; Casini, A.: Exploring the gating mechanisms of aquaporin-3: new clues for the design of inhibitors? Mol. BioSyst. 12 (5), 2016, 1564-1573.
- Laskay, Ü. A.; Garino, C.; Tsybin, Y. O.; Salassa, L.; Casini, A.: Gold finger formation studied by high-resolution mass spectrometry and in silico methods. Chem. Commun. 51 (9), 2015, 1612-1615.
- de Almeida, Andreia; Soveral, Graça; Casini, Angela: Gold compounds as aquaporin inhibitors: new opportunities for therapy and imaging. Med. Chem. Commun. 5 (10), 2014, 1444-1453.
- de Almeida, Andreia; Oliveira, Bruno L.; Correia, João D.G.; Soveral, Graça; Casini, Angela: Emerging protein targets for metal-based pharmaceutical agents: An update. Coordination Chemistry Reviews 257 (19-20), 2013, 2689-2704.
- Mendes, Filipa; Groessl, Michael; Nazarov, Alexey A.; Tsybin, Yury O.; Sava, Gianni; Santos, Isabel; Dyson, Paul J.; Casini, Angela: Metal-Based Inhibition of Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerase − The Guardian Angel of DNA. J. Med. Chem. 54 (7), 2011, 2196-2206.