Hans Fischer Senior Fellow
University of California, Irvine
A. Lee Swindlehurst received the B.S., summa cum laude, and M.S. degrees in Electrical Engineering from Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, in 1985 and 1986, respectively, and the PhD degree in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University in 1991. From 1986-1990, he was employed at ESL, Inc., of Sunnyvale, CA, where he was involved in the design of algorithms and architectures for several radar and sonar signal processing systems. He was on the faculty of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Brigham Young University from 1990-2007, where he was a Full Professor and served as Department Chair from 2003-2006. During 1996-1997, he held a joint appointment as a visiting scholar at both Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, and at the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden. From 2006-07, he was on leave working as Vice President of Research for ArrayComm LLC in San Jose, California. In 2011, he was a visiting professor with the Institute for Network Theory and Signal Processing at the Technical University of Munich. He is currently the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies in the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and a Professor of the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department at the University of California Irvine.
2010 IEEE Signal Processing Society Best Paper Award for "Zero-Forcing Methods for Downlink Spatial Multiplexing in Multi-User MIMO Channels," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, February,2004.
2006 IEEE Communications Society Stephen O. Rice Prize in the Field of Communications Theory for "A Vector-Perturbation Technique for Near-Capacity Multiantenna Multiuser Communication," IEEE Transactions on Communications, January-March, 2005.
2006 IEEE Signal Processing Society Best Paper Award for "Blind and Semi-Blind Equalization for Generalized Space-Time Block Codes," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, October, 2002.
2004 Karl G. Maeser Research and Creative Arts Award, Brigham Young University.
2004 IEEE Fellow
2000 IEEE W. R. G. Baker Prize Paper Award for "Maximum Likelihood Methods in Radar Array Signal Processing," IEEE Proceedings, February, 1998.
- Sensor array signal processing for radar
- wireless communications and biomedical applications detection and estimation theory
- system identification
- Robust Secure Transmission in MISO Channels Based on Worst-Case Optimization. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 60 (4), 2012, 1696-1707 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Cooperative Jamming for Secure Communications in MIMO Relay Networks. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 59 (10), 2011, 4871-4884 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Robust Beamforming for Security in MIMO Wiretap Channels With Imperfect CSI. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 59 (1), 2011, 351-361 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- A Vector-Perturbation Technique for Near-Capacity Multiantenna Multiuser Communication—Part I: Channel Inversion and Regularization. IEEE Transactions on Communications 53 (1), 2005, 195-202 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Zero-Forcing Methods for Downlink Spatial Multiplexing in Multiuser MIMO Channels. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 52 (2), 2004, 461-471 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Experimental characterization of the MIMO wireless channel: data acquisition and analysis. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 2 (2), 2003, 335-343 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Blind and semi-blind equalization for generalized space-time block codes. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 50 (10), 2002, 2489-2498 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Modeling the statistical time and angle of arrival characteristics of an indoor multipath channel. IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun. 18 (3), 2000, 347-360 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Spatial signature estimation for uniform linear arrays with unknown receiver gains and phases. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 47 (8), 1999, 2128-2138 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Maximum likelihood methods in radar array signal processing. Proceedings of the IEEE 86 (2), 1998, 421-441 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Subspace-based signal analysis using singular value decomposition. Proceedings of the IEEE 81 (9), 1993, 1277-1308 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- A performance analysis of subspace-based methods in the presence of model errors. I. The MUSIC algorithm. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 40 (7), 1992, 1758-1774 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )