Professor Lang studied chemistry at the University of Innsbruck where she obtained a PhD in bioorganic chemistry under the supervision of Professor Micura in 2008. She subsequently worked as a postdoctoral and investigator scientist at the Medical Research Council – Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge, UK, in the research groups of Dr. Ramakrishnan (ribosome crystallography) and Professor Chin (chemical and synthetic biology). She now heads the synthetic biochemistry research group in the Chemistry Faculty.
2012 Anton Paar Science Award of the Austrian Chemical Society, GÖCH
2012 MRC Centenary Early Career Award, Medical Research Council – Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK
2010 Young Investigator Award of the Zonta Club Bolzano/Bozen, Italy
2009 Karl Schlögl Award of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, ÖAW
2009 Georg and Christine Sosnovsky Award, Innsbruck, Austria
Professor Lang (b. 1979) conducts research in the interdisciplinary area of chemical biology, applying concepts from organic chemistry to develop new tools to study fundamental biological questions. Her research focuses on the targeted chemical synthesis of new artificial biomolecules (amino acids, proteins, nucleotides, oligonucleotides) tailored to investigate and manipulate complex cellular processes in in vitro and in vivo biological systems.
- Genetic Encoding of Bicyclononynes and trans -Cyclooctenes for Site-Specific Protein Labeling in Vitro and in Live Mammalian Cells via Rapid Fluorogenic Diels–Alder Reactions. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 134 (25), 2012, 10317-10320 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Genetically encoded norbornene directs site-specific cellular protein labelling via a rapid bioorthogonal reaction. Nature Chemistry 4 (4), 2012, 298-304 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Structural basis for 16S ribosomal RNA cleavage by the cytotoxic domain of colicin E3. Nat Struct Mol Biol 17 (10), 2010, 1241-1246 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- The Role of 23S Ribosomal RNA Residue A2451 in Peptide Bond Synthesis Revealed by Atomic Mutagenesis. Chemistry & Biology 15 (5), 2008, 485-492 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Ligand-induced folding of the thiM TPP riboswitch investigated by a structure-based fluorescence spectroscopic approach. Nucleic Acids Research 35 (16), 2007, 5370-5378 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )