Rudolf Diesel Industry Fellow
Dr.-Ing. Mirko Bothien currently is leading the Combustor Technology group of Ansaldo Energia Switzerland. In this role, he is responsible for the technology development of novel premix and reheat combustors as well as all thermoacoustic topics in technology and product development. Since 2017, he is Member of Board of the Norwegian CCS Research consortium.
He received his Diploma degree in Turbomachinery & Jet Propulsion from RWTH Aachen University in 2005. During the last 2 years of his studies, he worked at the Siemens gas turbine test center in Berlin as research intern and Diploma student.
From 2005 to 2008, he pursued his PhD thesis on modelling & control of combustion instabilities and rig-to-engine transferability of gas turbine combustors at the Institute of Fluid Mechanics and Technical Acoustics, TU Berlin with Prof. Dr.-Ing. Oliver Paschereit. The thesis project was in co-operation with Siemens Power.
Beginning of 2009, he joined the thermoacoustics team of Alstom’s combustor R&D department. In 2013, he was appointed Team Leader of the thermoacoustics team and since then also gives a lecture on gas turbines and thermoacoustics at the TU Berlin. From 2014 to 2017, he was Group Leader Thermoacoustics and Combustor Lifetime.
Dr.-Ing. Bothien co-authored 50 technical publications and 37 invention disclosures in the field of combustion dynamics.
2018 Early Career Award, Global Power and Propulsion Society
2015 Alstom Corporate Innovation Award
2015 ASME IGTI Best Paper Award
2011 Alstom Gas Turbine Invention Award
2011 Shortlist Alstom Corporate Innovation Awards
2010 Alstom Gas Turbine Invention Award
2010 Tiburtius Award for dissertation
2008 “Summa cum laude” Award for dissertation
2008 Minerva Short-Term Research Grant awarded by Max-Planck-Gesellschaft
Dr.-Ing. Bothien’s work in the field of combustion dynamics is dedicated to applying fundamental research to real-world industry problems trying to find creative and innovative solutions for the future product. This includes passive and active control, premix and reheat flame dynamics, rig-to-engine transferability, flame-flame and fluid-structure interaction. Analyzing and predicting system stability, Dr.-Ing. Bothien makes use of network models, unsteady CFD, system identification techniques, advanced dynamic data analysis and statistics. Following an interdisciplinary approach, he combines analytical, numerical, and experimental methods; the latter including acoustic, atmospheric, high pressure and full-scale engine tests. His research at the Institute of Advanced Study is focused on reheat flame dynamics both in the low and high frequency regime.
- Bothien, Mirko R.; Wassmer, Dominik: Impact of Density Discontinuities on the Resonance Frequency of Helmholtz Resonators. AIAA Journal 53 (4), 2015, 877-887
- Analysis of Azimuthal Thermo-acoustic Modes in Annular Gas Turbine Combustion Chambers. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 137 (6), 2014, 061505
- A Novel Damping Device for Broadband Attenuation of Low-Frequency Combustion Pulsations in Gas Turbines. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 136 (4), 2013, 041504
- Investigation of azimuthal staging concepts in annular gas turbines. Combustion Theory and Modelling 15 (5), 2011, 585-606
- Active control of the acoustic boundary conditions of combustion test rigs. Journal of Sound and Vibration 318 (4-5), 2008, 678-701
- Toward Decarbonized Power Generation With Gas Turbines by Using Sequential Combustion for Burning Hydrogen. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 141 (12), 2019 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Superior fuel and operational flexibility of sequential combustion in Ansaldo Energia gas turbines. Journal of the Global Power and Propulsion Society 3, 2019, 1-16 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Occurrence of multiple flame fronts in reheat combustors. Combustion and Flame 205, 2019, 220-230 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Non-linear dynamics of thermoacoustic eigen-mode interactions. Combustion and Flame 194, 2018, 309-321 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Direct numerical simulation of flame stabilization assisted by autoignition in a reheat gas turbine combustor. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 2018 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Reconstruction and Analysis of the Acoustic Transfer Matrix of a Reheat Flame from Large-Eddy Simulations. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 2018 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Amplitude statistics prediction in thermoacoustics. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 844, 2018, 216-246 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Thermoacoustics of Can-Annular Combustors. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 141 (1), 2018, 011007 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- The effect of the flame phase on thermoacoustic instabilities. Combustion and Flame 187, 2018, 165-184 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )