Environmental Sensing and Modeling
Prof. Jia Chen has been a Rudolf Mößbauer Tenure Track Professor for Environmental Sensing and Modeling at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering since 2015.
Her current research focuses on quantifying greenhouse gas emissions and understanding the metabolism of pollutants in urban environments. Besides the development of novel, compact optical sensors, she is also interested in establishing a regional sensor network with differential column measurements. Using these measurements combined with models of atmospheric transport, she wants to demonstrate a new experimental strategy to determine greenhouse gas and pollutant emissions.
Her research spectrum covers:
- Urban greenhouse gas and pollutant emissions
- Sensor network development with differential column measurements
- Fourier transform spectrometry
- Solar-tracking instrumentation
- Atmospheric modeling
- VCSEL-based gas sensing
- Tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy
- Satellite-based remote sensing