Christian Werthmann received his Master of Landscape Architecture degree with a specialization in urban design at the University of Kassel in Germany. Before moving to the United States in 1997 he was a project designer in the landscape architecture office of Latz and Partners and taught as a Research Fellow at TUM. In the United States he worked as a landscape architect in several prominent offices such as Peter Walker and Partners and Hargreaves Associates. Up until 2012, Werthmann was an Associate Professor and the former Director of the Master in Landscape Architecture Degree Programs at the Harvard Graduate School of Design. Currently, Christian Werthmann is Professor of Landscape Architecture and Design at the Leibniz University Hannover.
2010 Communication Excellence Award of the American Society of Landscape Architects Tactical Operations in the Non-formal City
2005 Honorary Award of the American Society of Landscape Architects, Parking Structure #4, Office: Peter Walker and Partners, Stanford University, CA
2000 First Prize, San Francisco Prize 2000, International Competition Harvey Milk Memorial USA
Werthmann’s research concentrates on the potentials of landscape architecture and civic infrastructure in heavily urbanized and socially conflicted terrain, predominantly in the rapidly developing informal cities of the Global South. In his research work Werthmann overlays technical innovation with social and natural systems to foster new productive and aesthetically challenging public spaces that transcend traditional notions of landscape and building. Most recently, he is engaged in the development of an earthquake refugee community in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, (jointly with faculty from MIT) and anticipatory strategies for informal migrants into the hills of Medellin.
- Is Informal Urbanism Sustainable. In: Sustainable Urbanism and Beyond. Rizolli, 2012 mehr… BibTeX
- Biotic Rooftops. In: Ecological Architecture. Birkhaeuser, 2012 mehr… BibTeX
- Landscape and Infrastructure in Nonformal Cities. Exhibition Catalog Critical Mass, Cooper Hewitt Museum, 2011 mehr… BibTeX
- Squatting Infrastructure. Infrastructural Urbanism, 2011 mehr… BibTeX
- Aspirations and realities of exemplary eco-cities. DETAIL Green 2, 2010 mehr… BibTeX
- Leapfrogging Slums. Ecological Urbanism, 2010 mehr… BibTeX
- TransUrban. Charting Experiments for Cities of the Future. Case Study 03: Valdesparterra, Spain; Case Study 04: Sarriguren, Spain; Case Study 05: BO2. Design & Technology Report Series, 2010 mehr… BibTeX
- Green Roof- A Case Study. Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates’ Design for the Headquarters of the American Society of Landscape Architects. Princeton Architectual Press, 2009 mehr… BibTeX
- Tactical Operations in the Informal City. São Paulo Housing Agency, 2009 mehr… BibTeX