After receiving her diploma in mathematics from TUM in 1997 ('summa cum laude'), Miriam Mehl completed her doctorate ('summa cum laude') in the interdisciplinary area of biological wastewater treatment in 2001. She finished her habilitation in the TUM Department of Computer Science in summer 2010, and is involved in several projects in the fields of computational fluid dynamics (CFD), simulation of fluid-structure interactions, and high-performance computing. From 2002 onwards, she was the head of the CFD Group at the Department for Scientific Computing in Computer Science at TUM. This group works with a strong focus on numerically and hardware-efficient algorithms for PDE solvers on high-performance computing architectures.
Since 2013, Miriam Mehl has held the position of a professor at the University of Stuttgart’s Institute for Parallel and Distributed Systems. She is head of the Institute for the Simulation of Large Systems.
1993-1997 Bayerische Begabtenfoerderung
Miriam Mehls research topics are in the field of Scientific Computing with a special focus on fluid dynamics related applications. The major aim is to combine mathematical and computer science methods in order to achieve numerically and hardware efficient simulation software. This concerns both the simulation program itself but also the embedding into an application context, that is preprocessing, geometry description, and grid generation one the input side and data interpretation and visualisation on the output side but also the embedding in larger contexts such as coupled multi-physics simulations and interactive simulations (computational steering).
Since solvers for partial differential equations are typically data-intensive applications, low memory requirements and efficient data access algorithms are of particular importance and not trivial to achieve for state-of-the art numerical methods such as multigrid solvers on adaptive grids with their complex data dependencies. For multi-physics problems, the challenges are to find flexible and efficient tools for code coupling to be able to reuse existing software and to develop stable numerical coupling strategies that work even with black-box solvers for the single-physics components.
- Parallel coupling numerics for partitioned fluid–structure interaction simulations. Computers & Mathematics with Applications 71 (4), 2016, 869-891 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Coupled Approaches for Fluid Dynamics Problems Using the PDE Framework Peano. Communications in Computational Physics, 2012 mehr… BibTeX
- Towards multi-phase flow simulations in the PDE framework Peano. Computational Mechanics 48 (3), 2011, 365-376 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Peano—A Traversal and Storage Scheme for Octree-Like Adaptive Cartesian Multiscale Grids. SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 33 (5), 2011, 2732-2760 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Partitioned Simulation of Fluid-Structure Interaction on Cartesian Grids. In: Fluid Structure Interaction II. Springer Science + Business Media, 2010 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Computational Steering of Complex Flow Simulations. In: High Performance Computing in Science and Engineering, Garching/Munich 2009. Springer Science + Business Media, 2010 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- The PDE framework Peano applied to fluid dynamics: an efficient implementation of a parallel multiscale fluid dynamics solver on octree-like adaptive Cartesian grids. Computational Mechanics 46 (1), 2009, 103-114 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Computer Science and Numerical Fluid Mechanics – An Essential Cooperation. In: Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics and Multidisciplinary Design. Springer Science + Business Media, 2009 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- An Eulerian approach for partitioned fluid–structure simulations on Cartesian grids. Computational Mechanics 43 (1), 2008, 115-124 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- Numerical Simulation of Particle Transport in a Drift Ratchet. SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 30 (6), 2008, 2777-2798 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- A cache-oblivious self-adaptive full multigrid method. Numer. Linear Algebra Appl. 13 (2-3), 2006, 275-291 mehr… BibTeX Volltext ( DOI )
- A cache-aware algorithm for PDEs on hierarchical dat a structures based on space-filling curves. SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing 25(5), 2006 mehr… BibTeX
- Time-resolved Study of Biofilm Architecture and Transport Processes Using Experimental and Simulation Techniques: The Role of EPS. Water Science & Technology 43(6), 2001 mehr… BibTeX
- Fluid flow and transport in defined biofilms: Experiments and numerical simulations on a microscale. Water Science & Technology 41(4-5), 2000, 331-338 mehr… BibTeX