Tsuyoshi Hirata was born and raised in Kobe, Japan. He received his B. S. and M. S. in chemistry from Nagoya Institute of Technology in 1979 and 1981 respectively. Since 1981, he has performed research of water-soluble polymers at Nippon Shokubai Co., Ltd. Some of the polymers his research group created, the main ingredients of superplasticizer for concrete, showed the highest water-reducing performance and excellent flow retentive ability compared with conventional ones, and have been applied to develop and to spread new technologies for construction industry. In early 2010 he was awarded his Ph.D. from Hokkaido University for his study on Design of polycarboxylate-type Superplasticizer for Concrete Based on Its Working Mechanisms (Supervisor: Prof. Toyoharu Nawa).
2006 Kondo-Daimon Award - the material design and product development of polycarboxylate type's superplasticizer, Tokyo Institute of Technology.
The following topics represent the core of Hirata's research: Polymer synthesis, Water-soluble polymer, Concrete additives, Surface chemistry.
- Study on Working Mechanism of Polycarboxylate Ether (PCE) Based Superplasticizers. Tenth International Conference on Superplasticizers and Other Chemi-cal Admixtures in Concrete, 2012 more… BibTeX
- On entraining air of polycarboxylate type water reducer. Nihon Kenchiku Gakkai Kozokei Ronbunshu 75 (648), 2010, 231-240 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- On air entraining performance of polycarboxylate type water reducer. Nihon Kenchiku Gakkai Kozokei Ronbunshu 74 (636), 2009, 185-191 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- The effect of polycarboxylate-type superplasticizer controlled its adsorption rate onto the cement particles by changing the polymer structur. Nihon Kenchiku Gakkai Kozokei Ronbunshu 74 (639), 2009, 765-773 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- Polymethacrylate-graft-polyethylene Glycol as High-range Water Reducing Agent for a Concrete. KOBUNSHI RONBUNSHU 65 (11), 2008, 659-669 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )
- The gradual release type-slump retentive agent, which is synthesized by crosslinking polycarboxylate having polyethylene glycol pendant at alkaline hydrolytic points, and its manufacturing method. Nihon Kenchiku Gakkai Kozokei Ronbunshu 73 (627), 2008, 685-691 more… BibTeX Full text ( DOI )